Skip to main content

Sometimes Racism is Hiding in Plain sight





"Let's talk to Moses about leadership" said Miriam to her brother Aaron. " After, all I'm a prophetess too, and Moses just isn't sharing  leadership like he should," Miriam explained to Aaron and the other elders. Miriam and Aaron may have deceived the Hebrews into thinking they were only trying to have a discussion with Moses on distributive leadership. However, they couldn’t fool God. Miriam merely cloaked her racism in a discussion on leadership.  Instead God went right to the heart of the matter. Numbers 12 verse one states, “And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman”


God didn’t let Miriam and Aaron get away with their racist attitudes.  They attempted to turn a nation against Moses for marrying an African woman. This next verse is the cover for their racist attitude. Numbers 12:2  “And they said, Hath the Lord indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the Lord heard it.” All three were leaders. Aaron was a Priest, Miriam was a prophetess and Moses was a leader and a Prophet. T hey were talking behind Moses’ back, interfering where they had no business and bringing division into their fledgling nation. God dealt with Miriam in a no nonsense manner. 

As I meditated on Miriam’s story a scene from when I was a teenager replayed in my mind. I was seventeen years old.  The featured musicians at the Full Gospel Businessmen’s International Convention held in Philadelphia that year were the Singing Simpsons(My Family). There were thousands of people, mainly white, very well to do businessmen, some of whom were millionaires,  in attendance from all over the world.  Everything at the convention was first class. One event was a posh boat ride and fancy luncheon for the teenagers on the Delaware River. David Wilkerson, very popular at that time, of Teen Challenge, was the speaker for this cruise.

As my brother and sisters and I were walking to the deck where the luncheon was to be held I personally heard one of the other teenagers with a southern drawl say, “Why are these niggers on here?”* This was the very first time in my life hearing the N word directed at us. I was shocked and hurt. I couldn’t fathom why that person, another teenager, thought we didn’t belong there. I’d never ever heard myself referred to by that term by any white person in Philadelphia.   It felt like I had been punched in the stomach.

When we got back from the trip I told my mother what happened on the boat. My mother went to the leaders of the convention and shared with them the unfortunate situation on that boat ride. What happened next has stayed with me for a life time. At the very next session,  I think it was  Demos Shakarian, the moderator of the convention, shared with the thousands of people present what happened on the boat. He explained there was no place for that behavior or attitude among the people of God.  He called for a time of repentance right then and there. I remember the people praying, crying and repenting for those racist attitudes and the absolute move of God among the convention.

Back to the passage in Numbers 12, God called Moses, Aaron and Miriam together. God asked Miriam and Aaron weren’t they afraid to talk about Moses? -I wonder today don't people know God  still hears all the things  people are saying and  seeing all their hateful writing? - God wasn’t deceived with their charade about leadership. God saw their evil racist’s attitudes.  God was angry. When God went away from them Miriam was white with leprosy. Aaron pleaded with Moses to please pray to God to heal Miriam.

Moses prayed. God told Moses to let Miriam stay outside the camp for seven days with her leprosy. She needed to learn a lesson.  We read that the whole nation had to stop and wait for Miriam for seven days. Then God healed her and she came back to the camp and they were able to move on.

I wonder today in 2016 is this the reason we seem to be stuck in this nation?   Are we still cloaking something with which we need to deal   We can’t seem to move on.    Reading the passage in Numbers 12, (among other passages), and  thinking about that long ago convention I defy anyone to try and defend racism based on God’s Word. God’s Word has never defended racism and  like the leaders at the convention long ago neither should we. 

 

*( I usually don’t even say the word or spell it out)

 To read the entire story Read Numbers 12


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Say No!

Driving down the street I came into a construction zone. Multiple houses were being built on this particular site. I noticed a sign that read, “Free Dirt! We load!  You Haul!”  As I drove away the thought popped in my mind. This is like gossip and a tattling tongue. A gossip is a person who is willing to load you with free dirt on someone else’s life. with no payment necessary or expected. Well, the gossip really expects a payment.  The gossip wants the satisfaction for you to haul the dirt away and spread it around somewhere else. The gossip’s payment is for you to be the spreader. The cost to you is to have a sullied reputation. 
Proverbs tells us that gossip is like cheap candy. It asks the reader if you really want that junk in your system.Proverbs further warns us that the spreaders of gossip, which is usually slanderous, are fools. I know my goal in life is not to be in the company of fools or to be thought of as a fool.
The best way to stop a gossip is to give that person a disap…

About That Ninety-nine Dollars

Even at jeopardy of being late for an important appointment  I refused to go above the posted  35 miles per hour speed limit.  I may not be as righteous to adhere to posted signs on other roads when I'm in a hurry. However this stretch of the Martin Luther King Highway descending into Renton always got my respect. At least it did, after that day in 1980, when to my chagrin I found myself being stopped by one of our friendly Officers of the Peace, otherwise known as a policemen. 

I was completely unaware that I was being followed by a police car as I had my mind on something else.. It wasn't until I noticed the flashing lights that I pulled over. I had been so intent on being on time for a meeting at First Baptist Church that everything else clouded my judgement and the speed limit. When the policeman asked me about my great hurry I explained I didn't want to be late for my meeting at the church. When he came back with my well-deserved ticket  he jovially said, "Just sa…

Advent Season

During this Christmas season I am publishing a blog named, "A New Take on the Advent Story"
If you are interested in reading please go to Christmasad2016.blogspot.com

I've taken stories about the Advent and ran them through my imagination. Hopefully you will take a look.

I plan to resume Tricia's Principles for Living after the Holidays.
.